Friday, March 12, 2010

I'll have a cheeseburger with a side of filet mignon...

The results are in from my glucose tolerance test....NO gestational diabetes for me! In fact, my number was on the low end...I think I will celebrate with a Butterfinger Blizzard after work :). Unfortunately it was not all good news...my iron came back very low and it turns out I am anemic. It's not the worst thing though. I was assured that the baby is getting all it needs, but there isn't enough for me...because I'm so selfless like that :) . It does explain some things I have been noticing such as my skin looks paler and I've been very tired lately--I went to sleep at 6:30pm Sunday night and slept until my alarm went off at 5:45 Monday morning. It also explains why I'm huffing and puffing when I walk up our stairs.

So now, I get to take a separate iron supplement along with my regular prenatal vitamin. But check out these fantastic potential side effects:

"nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, dark colored stools, and stomach distress,
bluish-colored lips, fingernails, and palms of hands; convulsions (seizures); drowsiness; pale, clammy skin; shallow and rapid breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; weak and fast heartbeat."


Awesome.

Apparently the best source of iron is through meat, so I'm going to try to eat more (and by more, I mean start eating it again...). It just doesn't sound very good to me, and apparently hot dogs don't have a ton of iron :(

No comments:

Post a Comment