Sunday, November 15, 2009

Don't think you'll find this in Oprah's Book Club...

On my way down to L.A. for work, I decided to read a book one of my preggo friends lent me. She did warn me by saying that Jenny McCarthy had probably the worst pregnancy ever, so at about 30,000 feet, accompanied by my 5 oz tomato juice with light ice and cranberry snack mix (which had about 8 pieces in it...so unsatisfying), I opened this:



I read it cover to cover in about an hour and a half and let me say, I was not impressed. I feel like she either totally exaggerated everything to the point of disbelief or she is the biggest wimp of all time. Granted, I feel like thus far I have been blessed with a seamless pregnancy; a little bit of nausea here and there, boob soreness (which really can feel like burning) and being tired and hungry pretty much at all times. I have witnessed my close friends throwing up every day (poor things) while in the first trimester, but nothing like what this book details. At one point, I put the book down and had a mini-freak out that something was wrong with my pregnancy because I wasn't having near the amount of symptoms as her. Then I reminded myself that she probably wrote this book with one purpose: to make money. Books about a little bit of nausea and frequent peeing don't sell (which is probably why so few people read this blog :) ).

However, there were some parts that are chuckle-worthy. Shortly after she finds out she is pregnant she decides to take a dip in the hotel hot tub (which, hello? Doesn't everyone know pregnant women can't go in? Did you miss the giant warning signs that are right next to it??) She then freaks out she "hard-boiled her baby"....sorta funny. I could also relate to the parts throughout the book where she worries about pooping while giving birth. :: shudder :: Freaks me out too. Or the section of "Psycho Chick" making her appearance (poor hubs).

All in all, I thought it was mildly entertaining and if you are trapped on a plane with nothing else to do, it may be worth the read. But honestly, I prefer Jenny McCarthy hosting Singled Out.

2 comments:

  1. Its hard to believe,but every pregnancy is unique. What is true for one is often quite different for another. Enjoy these months! There is so much anticipation! Lots of Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm sorry it made you freak out! Mostly it made me feel better that a supermodel was having such a terrible time and I wasn't! ;) Be glad I didn't give you the Mayo Clinic book - talk about having a meltdown!

    xoxo
    G
    (Of D&G fame)

    ReplyDelete