Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lots of excitement!

The past 3 days have been full of excitement for us. On Friday afternoon, I got the great news of being offered a promotion! My new position will begin on January 1st, and I could not be happier. I think the new job will be much more conducive to my new life as a working mom. Not having to drive 150 miles a day while being 9 months pregnant will be a definite plus. More importantly, the position is full of new challenges and opportunities for the future. My only concern is telling my new boss in a few weeks, "Thank you for offering this position to me, I am so excited to start...oh and by the way, I'm pregnant, so I'll be taking a chunk of next year off! Aren't you so glad you picked me?!" I'm going to let my future self worry about that for now...

The second piece of excitement revolves around telling the Hubs' parents our big news. We made plans to have dinner with them Saturday night and of course tell them that they were going to be Grandparents (Amma and Opa) for the third time. We had a couple gifts stashed, but we knew that if we just gave them the gift bag, they would know right away. Instead, the Hubs concocted a brilliant idea to divert their thinking. Here's how it went:

Hubs: "So, we have some news to tell you..."

(Amma and Opa look at both of us with ear to ear grins)

Hubs: "A has gotten a promotion at work!"

(Amma and Opa clap excitedly, but with a wee bit of disappointment in their eyes :) )

Amma: "You did?! That is great! Congratulations!"

Opa: "That is great news! Is the position here? You won't have to move, will you?"

Me: "Nope, it's here!"

Hubs: "That's right because we have to stay close to Amma and Opa..(pause)..we're pregnant!"

(Amma and Opa yell with enthusiasm, hugs and tears all around)

Their reaction was priceless! We had a great time at dinner and playing cards after with Cousins Stan and Barb. After revealing the big secret to both of our families, we spent the drive home talking about how lucky we were to be bringing a baby into a big family that has so much love for Peanut and it's not even here yet. I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving, where our secret will be shared with both of our extended families and also on Wednesday where we get to get another sneak peak of Peanut (who incidentally is now bigger than a peanut!) and make sure he/she is growing healthy and strong. I'm definitely not leaving the office until I get a picture this time! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. I love your description of breaking the news to us! It's perfect. Opa and I have been giddy all day just thinking about the exciting journey you two are now on. I can't count the times today that I've been on the verge of tears--the absolutely joyful kind. Love you! --Amma

    ReplyDelete